Helsinki is a vibrant destination where history meets modernity, and nature embraces urban life. Whether you’re arriving from the UK, Europe, North America, or Australia, Helsinki offers various travel options. Travelers can fly from major cities, enjoy train connections, or opt for scenic ferry rides from nearby Baltic cities.
Immerse yourself in Helsinki’s history by visiting landmarks like Suomenlinna, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with a historical fortress, and the Helsinki City Museum, which offers insights into the city’s past.
Experience Finnish culture through art at the Ateneum Art Museum and the Design Museum. Don’t miss the opportunity to witness the vibrant festivals like Vappu (May Day) and the Helsinki Festival.
Sites of Interest to a Sailor
Enjoy Helsinki’s coastal beauty by exploring the shores, harbours, and marinas. Take a sailing tour to see the city’s unique skyline from the water.
Helsinki’s nightlife is lively with bars, clubs, and live music venues. The Tavastia Club is renowned for its music scene, while the Allas Sea Pool offers relaxation and entertainment by the water.
Treat your taste buds to Finnish cuisine at local restaurants such as Savotta, offering traditional dishes. Don’t forget to try local specialties like Karjalanpiirakka (Karelian pasty) and fresh seafood.
Embrace the outdoors by visiting Nuuksio National Park for hiking and nature trails. Explore the beautiful beaches at Hietaniemi and Uunisaari for a relaxing day by the water.
Helsinki stands out with its exceptional blend of modernity and nature. The city’s commitment to sustainable living and design is reflected in its architecture and urban planning. The proximity of nature and the urban environment creates a harmonious atmosphere that’s distinctively Helsinki.
- Travel Options from the UK: Travelers from the UK can reach Helsinki by flying from major airports such as London Heathrow, Gatwick, or Manchester. Direct flights are available with carriers like Finnair and British Airways.
- Travel Options from Europe: Visitors from Europe can also opt for direct flights from major cities like Paris, Berlin, and Stockholm. Train connections through the well-connected European rail network are also convenient.
- Travel Options from North America: North American tourists can access Helsinki through connecting flights via major European hubs like Amsterdam, Frankfurt, or Copenhagen. Frequent flights are available with carriers like American Airlines and Delta.
- Travel Options from Australia: Travelers from Australia usually have connecting flights via Asian cities such as Singapore, Hong Kong, or Tokyo, which offer access to direct flights to Helsinki.
- Travel by Train: Helsinki is well-connected by train, making it accessible from nearby cities and countries like St. Petersburg and Stockholm.
- Travel by Ferry: Ferries from Stockholm, Tallinn, and other Baltic cities provide a scenic route to Helsinki. The ferry terminals are easily reachable and offer a comfortable travel experience.
- Travel by Plane: Helsinki-Vantaa Airport is the main international gateway, offering a range of flight options and efficient transportation links to the city centre.
- Travel by Coach or Bus: Long-distance buses and coaches connect Helsinki to neighbouring cities and countries, providing an affordable travel option.
- Travel by Car: If traveling by car, Helsinki can be reached through well-maintained road networks. JustPark (https://www.justpark.com/) can help you find suitable parking spaces
Sustainable Travel Carbon Offset Schemes
By selecting sustainable travel options and actively participating in carbon offset initiatives, you can make a positive impact while journeying to or from your voyage.
Here are some suggestions for carbon offset websites.
UK: One popular carbon offset website in the UK is “Clear” who offer a range of carbon offset projects and solutions for individuals, businesses, and organisations. They provide detailed information about their projects and allow users to calculate and offset their carbon footprint online.
North America: In North America, “Terrapass” is a well-known carbon offset website. Terrapass offers carbon offset projects across the United States and Canada. They provide options for individuals, businesses, and events to calculate and offset their carbon emissions. Terrapass also offers additional resources and information on sustainable living.
Europe: A popular carbon offset website in Europe is “MyClimate.” MyClimate provides carbon offset projects and solutions for individuals, businesses, and travel. They offer a carbon footprint calculator and allow users to support various sustainable projects worldwide. MyClimate focuses on promoting climate protection and sustainability.
Australia: “Greenfleet” is a prominent carbon offset website in Australia. Greenfleet focuses on planting native forests to offset carbon emissions. They offer individuals and businesses the opportunity to calculate and offset their carbon footprint by contributing to tree planting projects across Australia. Greenfleet provides detailed information about their projects and the positive environmental impacts they create.
Please note that these carbon offset websites may vary over time, so it is recommended to research and explore multiple options to find the most suitable one for your needs.
If any of these links do not work it would be kind of you to inform us, many thanks.