History as a Sailing Trawler and Cargo Ship
Tecla, registration number KW143, was built in 1915 in Vlaardingen, to plunder the rich North Sea fishing zones of herring. Launched under the name Graaf van Limburg Stirum, she fished as one of the last true commercial sailing vessels for 10 years before being forced into early retirement in Katwijk Harbour, Holland. In 1935 she was sold to Denmark and was christened Maria, She sailed the coastal waters of the Denmark transporting heavy grain, stone and turf between the Danish islands. Around 1958 she received her first motor. In 1960 she was sold to Aalborg and christened Tekla.
New Life as a Charter vessel
Tecla returned to Holland in the 1979 to be re-fitted as a charter sailing vessel. Starting in 1989 she sailed for 17 years, owned by Jaap Vreeken and Jenny Pierik and sailing again under her original Dutch colours, Tecla has explored Irish, French and British waters from her home port of Enkhuizen, North Holland.
Most of the deck layout of the Tecla has been kept in a traditional state of when she was used for transport. On deck you will find traditional details and a lot of wood work. Sails are set by hand, a big part of the electricity used on board is generated by the dynamo on the propeller.